Charity No: chy18782
We are a non-profit organisation. Please support us by contributing.
100% of text cost goes to MADRA across most network providers. Some providers apply VAT which means that a minimum of €3.26 will go to MADRA. Service Provider: LIKECHARITY. Helpline: 01 4433890
We are very sorry, but we are unable to take in any owner surrender dogs for the foreseeable future. Due to the high amount of dogs coming into us from the pounds and being found straying on a daily basis, we are full up. This time of year is always slow for rehoming and we do not expect to have any extra space in the kennels until after the new year.
The Sports Hall at Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) on the Dublin Road will provide the venue for the MADRA dog adoption day this Saturday, 4 October, from 12 – 4pm.
The event is being organised to help us find new homes for the many dogs of all shapes, sizes and breeds currently in our care.
Visitors on the day can meet each dog and find out more information about the dog’s personality and activity level, as well as the type of home that will suit them best. Those interested in adopting a dog on the day will be asked to complete an adoption questionnaire and a home check is required.
Speaking about the event, MADRA spokesperson Eileen Keleghan commented, "While we have great success in finding homes through our website and Facebook page it is sometimes hard to capture a dog’s personality with a write-up and picture; meeting the dog at an adoption day helps potential new owners to get a better idea of the dog's characteristics and requirements.
"People come from far and wide to meet our dogs, and many end up finding their perfect canine match at an adoption day", she added.
All dogs are micro-chipped, vaccinated and neutered before going to their new homes and an adoption fee of 150 euro is recommended.
Visitors are asked to make their way to the north entrance of GMIT (second entrance after the roundabout) where they can access the car park for the Sports Hall.
Dear two-legged and four-legged friends!
Only one more sleep to the MADRA Dogathon 2014! We hope that you are all as excited as we are about seeing so many paws on the prom in aid of our rescue dogs.
From everyone at MADRA we would like to thank you for registering to take part in this fundraising dog walk, and to all of the dogs that have been busy using their puppy dog eyes to raise sponsorship, we salute you!
We would like to use this opportunity to remind you of a couple of things that you need to do when you arrive at the Claddagh Hall on Sunday (May 18):
1. Please go to the registration desk within the Claddagh Hall so that our volunteers can sign you in and give you your Doggy Bag.
3. Although the walk starts at 1pm we would appreciate if you could be at the Claddagh Hall no later than 12.30pm to sign in. The registration desk opens at 11.30am, and if you come early you can sample some of the fantastic home-baked goodies and have a nice cup of tea and some doggy chit chat!
4. The walk will start from the Claddagh Hall and go along the Salthill Promenade to Blackrock. This distance may not be suitable for everyone, and you will see some signs along the route with 'Turning point for little legs or short paws' - walk as far as you feel is right for you and your companions and if you can, come back to the Claddagh Hall for refreshments after.
5. Please ensure that you keep your dog on lead at all times and keep a safe distance from other dogs and walkers. Watch out for signs of stress in your dog.
6. Please allow time to find suitable parking near the venue and do not block any driveways, access routes etc. If you cannot find 'on street' parking you may need to go to a car park nearby. Be considerate of other road users and pedestrians before, during and after the walk, and please stay safe.
7. If you need medical attention or any other assistance please alert one of our MADRA volunteers - stewards will be identifiable with blue MADRA high-vis vests.
We hope that you enjoy the day and make sure to bring your raincoats - we know that a little drop of rain won't put you doggy folk off! If you have any friends or family that would like to attend bring them along and they can register on the day.